Monday, December 16, 2019

restoring my ancestral home :1

The monkey in my favorite story 'Khirer Putul' written by Abanindranath Tagore renovated her mother Duyorani's ( literally the queen with a bad fate) house with a target. He will change the entire set up if possible. 

I could not be a follower of the monkey. But still, when I began the restoration work around 3 months back, the monkey was in my mind for various reasons. 

Our Kolkata house was built by my great grandfather Kaliprasanna Piplai, a retired judge and a voracious reader. Our family was the victim of the partition of India, where the family had to move to India. Our old ancestral homes ( one at Gaila village and another one at Barisal town)  became parts of a foreign country.  The entire family moved and finally settled at the house at present day New Alipore. 

I inherited a library created by my great grandfather, and slowly built by my grandfather, father and mother. My grandfather Pulin Piplai was a freedom fighter and he established a free community library named 'Study'. Study could not survive for various reasons. But many of the books found a place at our almirahs and an old big book rack. 

Restoration started with my granduncle Fuchi's amazing collection. Fuchi passed away almost an year ago. I talked to some friends of Fuchi, who helped me to arrange his stuffs. 

No comments: